Thursday, November 8, 2012

Increase My Faith


Good morning!
"Increase my faith in the sweet promises of the Gospel; give me repentance from dead works; pardon my wanderings, and direct my thoughts unto Thyself, the God of my salvation; teach me how to live in fear, labor in Thy service, and ever to run in the way of Thy commandments; make me always watchful over my heart, that neither the terror of conscience, the loathing of holy duties, the love of sin, nor an unwillingness to depart this life, may cast me into a slumber, but daily frame me more and more into the likeness of Thy Son Jesus Christ, that living in Thy fear, and dying in Thy favor, I may in Thy appointed time attain the resurrection of the just unto eternal life. Bless my family, friends, and kindred."  ---- George Washington, in an undated prayer from his prayer journal.                                                                                         ---- selected from Focus On the Family
It occurred to me that President Washington's prayer breathes the spirit of David's prayer in Psalm 69 (especially verses 6, 13, 16): Let not those who hope in Thee be ashamed because of me, O Lord GOD of hosts; let not those who seek Thee be brought to dishonor because of me, O God of Israel. But as for me, my prayer is unto Thee, O LORD, at an acceptable time, O God, in the abundance of Thy steadfast love hear me, in the truth of Thy salvation, for thy lovingkindness is good; turn unto me according to the multitude of Thy tender mercies.
----
A hymn to read or sing aloud in reverent prayer to God: LORD, I LIFT MY SOUL TO THEE.

No comments:

Post a Comment