Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Holy Spirit


Good morning!

All outward means of grace, if separate from the Spirit of God, cannot profit, or conduce, in any degree, either to the knowledge or love of God.----All outward things, unless He work in them and by them, are in vain. ---- John Wesley

...it is to your advantage that I go away, for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you. But if I go, I will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment. When the Spirit of truth comes, He will guide you into all the truth, for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak, and He will declare to you the things that are to come (John 16:7-8, 13-14). 

But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, He will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you (John 14:26). 

Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit (Galatians 5:25).

A hymn to read, sing, whistle or hum to the glory of God: SPIRIT OF GOD, DESCEND UPON MY HEART.

Spirit of God, descend upon my heart;
Wean it from earth; through all its pulses move;
Stoop to my weakness, mighty as Thou art;
And make me love Thee as I ought to love.

I ask no dream, no prophet ecstasies,
No sudden rending of the veil of clay,
No angel visitant, no opening skies;
But take the dimness of my soul away.

Teach me to feel that Thou art always nigh;
Teach me the struggles of the soul to bear.
To check the rising doubt, the rebel sigh,
Teach me the patience of unanswered prayer.

Hast Thou not bid me love Thee, God and King?
All, all Thine own, soul, heart and strength and mind.
I see Thy cross; there teach my heart to cling:
O let me seek Thee, and O let me find!

Teach me to love Thee as Thine angels love,
One holy passion filling all my frame;
The kindling of the heaven descended Dove,
My heart an altar, and Thy love the flame.

No comments:

Post a Comment