Thursday, February 14, 2013

Sinfulness of our 'Holinesses'


Good morning!

The sinfulness of our 'holiness.' I cannot pray, but I sin: I cannot hear or preach a sermon, but I sin: I cannot give an alms, or receive the sacrament, but I sin: nay, I cannot so much as confess my sins, but my confessions are still aggravations of them. My repentance needs to be repented of, my tears want washing, and the very washing of my tears needs still to be washed over again with the blood of the Redeemer.  ---- William Beveridge

Make a plate of pure gold and engrave on it as on a seal: HOLY TO THE LORD. It will be on Aaron's forehead, and he will bear the iniquity of the holy things involved in the sacred gifts the Israelites consecrate, whatever their gifts may be (Exodus 28:36, 38). 

A hymn to read, sing, hum or whistle to the glory of God:  MY SINS, MY SINS, MY SAVIOR!

My sins, my sins, my Savior!
They take such hold on me,
I am not able to look up,
Save only, Christ, on Thee;
In Thee is all forgiveness,
In Thee abundant grace,
My shadow and my sunshine
The brightness of Thy face.

My sins, my sins, my Savior!
How sad on Thee they fall;
Seen through Thy gentle patience,
I tenfold feel them all;
I know they are forgiven,
But still, their pain to me
Is all the grief and anguish
They laid, my Lord, on Thee.

My sins, my sins, my Savior!
Their guilt I never knew
Till with Thee in the desert
I near Thy passion drew;
Till with Thee in the garden
I heard Thy pleading prayer,
And saw the sweat-drops bloody
That told Thy sorrow there.

Therefore my songs, my Savior,
E’en in this time of woe,
Shall tell of all Thy goodness
To suff’ring man below;
Thy goodness and Thy favor,
Whose presence from above
Rejoice those hearts, my Savior,
That live in Thee and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment