Wednesday, February 19, 2014

GOD'S LOVE

God's love for sinners is very wonderful, but God's patience with ill-natured saints is a deeper mystery [Henry Drummond].

There was none who sold himself to do what was evil in the sight of the LORD like Ahab...he acted very abominably in going after idols. And when Ahab heard those words, he tore his clothes and put sackcloth on his flesh and fasted and lay in sackcloth and went about dejectedly. And the word of the LORD came to Elijah the Tishbite saying, "Have you seen how Ahab has humbled himself before me? Because he has humbled himself before me, I will not bring the disaster in his days; but in his son's days I will bring the disaster upon his house." (I Kings 21:17-29).

The servant girl at the door said to Peter, "You also are not one of the this man's disciples, are you?" He said, "I am not." (John 18:17).

Now Simon Peter was standing and warming himself. So they said to him, "You also are not one of his disciples, are you?" He denied it and said, "I am not." One of the servants of the high priest....asked, "Did I not see you in the garden with him?" Peter again denied it, and at once a rooster crowed (John 18:25-27).

When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?" He said to him, "Yes, Lord; you know that I love you." He said to him, "Feed my lambs."  He said to him a second time, "Simon, son of John, do you love me? He said to him, "Yes, Lord, you know that I love you."  He said to him, "Tend my sheep."  He said to him the third time, "Simon, son of John, do you love me?" Peter was grieved because He said to him the third time, "Do you love me?" and he said to Him,"Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you."  Jesus said to him, "Feed my sheep" (John 21:15-17).  

And after saying this He said to him, "Follow me." (John 21:19b).

A hymn to read, sing, hum, or whistle to the glory of God: Not Worthy Lord! (Edward Bickersteth, 1872).  

No comments:

Post a Comment