Wednesday, August 28, 2013

REBIRTH

One thing is very clear; I cannot accomplish the new birth myself. It is not in me to make this mighty change in myself. I may change my sins, but I cannot change my heart. I may fashion a new way, but not a new nature. I may make considerable reforms and alterations. I may lay aside many outward bad habits, and begin many outward duties. But I cannot create a new principle within me. I cannot bring something out of nothing, life out of death. The Ethiopian cannot change his skin, nor the leopard his spots; no more can we put life into our own souls. I must be born again (pgs, after J. C. Ryle).
 
Can the Ethiopian change his skin or the leopard his spots? Then also you can do good who are accustomed to do evil (Jeremiah 13:23).
 
Jesus answered, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God." (John 3:3).
 
A hymn to read, sing, hum, or whistle, to the glory of God: I Sought the Lord, and Afterward I Knew. Anonymous,1878.

No comments:

Post a Comment